Poor product photography can hurt your sales. Customers often see unattractive product photographs as a sign that you don’t care about your website or the products that you’re selling. Your online site is your business identity, and you want to evoke a positive reaction from customers. Good product imagery can make the difference between a page-bounce and a sale.
When first starting an ecommerce site, online merchants often skimp when it comes to their product photography. Hiring a professional isn’t always an option, but if you put in a little time, you can often achieve great results on your own. Whether you’re taking your own photographs or simply editing product images provided by a manufacturer, it’s important to make your product images as clean and consistent as possible.
Below are some handy guides and links to free software that can help you improve your product photography:
- The hyperphocal.com photography blog offers some good product photography tips for taking your own product pictures.
- Digital-photography-school.com features a cool article on building an inexpensive light box, which can greatly improve the quality of your product photos.
- Irfanview: A powerful batch image converter and processor. Irfanview is a handy tool that can automatically resize and rename a large group of image files, and much more.
- Picasa: Picasa is a free, simple photo editor that’s easy to use and great for making basic adjustments to your images.
- Gimp: Gimp is a freely distributed image manipulation tool with a wealth of features for touching up and editing photos.
Working With Us
Ready to get started? Reach out to us to open a work order or get a free consultation on how you can optimize your site. Once you reach out to us, one of our BigCommerce experts will get back to you within 24 hours to learn about your business and consult with you on the best solution for your needs.