In recent years, timing-based devices and technologies have seen widespread market adoption in industries such as aerospace, autonomous transportation, 5G mobile networks, and the Internet of Things. From smartphones to seismic monitoring, SiTime’s precision timing devices empower some of the world’s biggest brands to create solutions that keep communities safe and connected.
To legally comply with export regulations while selling to individuals, governments, and enterprise businesses around the globe, SiTime needed a specialized integration that would allow them to verify customer data in the checkout prior to order fulfillment. To meet the challenge, they partnered with IntuitSolutions to develop a custom solution that seamlessly integrates with their BigCommerce store and existing technology stack.
The Challenge: Balancing A Seamless Checkout Experience with Complex Compliance Requirements
A tailored checkout experience is becoming increasingly essential in the competitive world of online commerce. For merchants that require more complex layers of security in the checkout process, customized solutions become even more vital to day-to-day business operations.
SiTime is legally required to screen all orders shipping outside US borders to ensure they’re not selling to individuals and business entities included on a government-restricted list. To remain compliant with export regulations, all customer information must be reviewed for specific criteria before the order continues through the normal fulfillment process. To do this, the right checkout solution would need to address the following:
- A custom “in-checkout” process to collect additional background information from the buyer.
- A custom “post-checkout” process that reviews buyer information and prevents an order from shipping if the buyer is on a restricted list.
- Integration with existing Descartes Visual Compliance software for real-time review of orders placed through the SiTime BigCommerce store.
- Integration with current ERP and middleware to support smooth order fulfillment.
- Accommodation for other custom apps and solutions involved with the checkout process.
To achieve a robust, custom solution that worked with their existing storefront and related software, SiTime partnered with the BigCommerce design and development experts – IntuitSolutions.
The Solution: A Custom-Built Checkout and Integration with Compliance Verification Software
From no-code or low-code customizations to completely custom headless builds, BigCommerce’s One-Page Checkout enables our developers to implement custom checkout solutions to meet varying business needs across industries.
For SiTime, our team designed, tested, and launched a sophisticated solution for their BigCommerce Custom Export Compliance feature. This included a custom-built database and integration with existing middleware that works seamlessly with the Descartes Visual Compliance export monitoring software for customer screening in real time.
How it works:
- When completing a transaction in the checkout, all buyers are required to answer questions in a dropdown format.
- When a buyer’s address is outside of the United States, they are required to answer additional screening questions. Based on those responses, the buyer is prompted with more specific questions to complete the transaction.
- SiTime’s middleware conveys available and required details to the Descartes Visual Compliance software via the API provided.
- Responses are stored in the order comments with the complete order record details viewable in the merchant dashboard. This makes the data available to other third party systems (ERPs, CRMs, etc.), and accessible and exportable from the standard Orders dashboard in BigCommerce.
In the event that an order is flagged for any of the active rejection criteria, the order is placed into a “hold status” in BigCommerce and marked as requiring action for Manual Verification and Compliance Review. The order is then manually reviewed for any indication of non-compliance before being released for shipment.
The Results: A Modern, Fully-Compliant Checkout Solution that Streamlines and Scales Business Operations
In an age when automation powers growth, online stores will continue to look for ways to streamline their most crucial business processes. With the custom software developed for their BigCommerce store, SiTime.com is now equipped with a custom checkout solution that helps them stay compliant while providing innovative timing solutions to a growing number of buyers across the globe.
If you’re interested in expanding the features and functionality of your BigCommerce checkout, we’d love to hear from you. We specialize in delivering unique, custom solutions to our clients and are available for most development-intensive customizations on the BigCommerce Open Source Checkout. Call us at +1-855-690-5903 or Contact Us Here to discuss your project.